Floral arrangements in the home can be a lovely way to bring the beauty of nature into your house. But, if you have cats, you may need to be careful about which flowers you bring into your home.
There are a few different beautiful blooms that can make your cat sick. Some flowers even have the potential to poison them to death. We have gathered all the info you need below to know which flowers to avoid this spring. It may help save your cat's life.
Flowers are gorgeous, and most people enjoy having them in their homes. Sometimes it's just because, but it's typically for a special occasion, such as a wedding, or a holiday like valentine's day. Even celebrations such as birthdays or anniversaries can involve cut flowers. But if you share your home with at least one cat, then you may need to consider the dangers of bringing some of these bouquets into your home.
Some cats are known to like to jump up onto tables, countertops, refrigerators, basically any flat surface they can get comfortable to take a nap. As curious as cats are, they are usually found exploring their surroundings. They may sniff around and potentially try to taste anything they think might be food. Some cats like to nibble on plants, and your bouquet of cut flowers is no exception. But some of these flowers might wreak havoc on your kitty's gastrointestinal system, leading to anything from nausea, vomiting, and excessive drooling, to lack of coordination and lethargy.
Depending on which flower and how much was consumed will determine which symptoms your cat may experience. Below we discuss the seven most common cut flowers known to be toxic to not just cats but dogs too. We cover each of the most toxic flowers and go over what symptoms to expect if your kitty ingests some of your bouquets.
Of course, if you think your cat may have ingested any of these flowers, don't waste time, and please seek the care of your local veterinarian immediately!
Amaryllis (Amaryllidaceae family):
This flower belongs to the lily family and can cause various symptoms in your furry friends if ingested, such as nausea, depression, stomach pain, excessive drooling, anorexia, and tremors. If you suspect that your pet has eaten any part of the flower, it's important to contact your urgent care vet or emergency vet immediately and bring your pet in as soon as possible.
Carnations (Dianthus caryophyllus):
Ingesting carnations can cause mild migraines and gastrointestinal issues in your furry friend. If you suspect that your pet has consumed any part of this flower, it's important to contact your emergency veterinarian immediately and inform them of the situation.
Chrysanthemum (Asteraceae family):
The flower commonly known as "mums" is scientifically called Chrysanthemum, and while it is often appreciated for its beauty and longevity, it is important to be aware of the potential risks it poses to pets. If ingested, the flower can cause a range of symptoms in animals, including vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, lack of coordination, and dermatitis.
Dahlias (Asteraceae family):
Another stunning flower that should be added to the list of poisonous plants for dogs and cats is the dahlia. While not as toxic as some of the other flowers on this list, ingestion of dahlias can still cause moderate gastrointestinal problems and mild dermatitis in your furry friends.
Gladiolus (Iridaceae family):
This flower is toxic to both cats and dogs. If your pet ingests any part of this plant, they may experience symptoms such as excessive drooling, vomiting, lethargy, and nausea. It's worth noting that the highest concentration of its poisonous component can be found in the buds.
Lilies are EXTREMELY TOXIC TO CATS.
Ingestion of this blossom may lead to kidney failure in your feline friend, which can be fatal if not promptly treated. If you suspect that your cat has ingested this flower, it's crucial to contact your urgent care vet or emergency veterinarian immediately and bring your cat in for medical attention.
These flowers are poisonous to cats and dogs alike and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling if ingested. All parts of the plant contain toxins and can make your pet sick, but there is a high level of toxin concentration in the tulip bulbs, making the bulbs of this plant the most poisonous part.
Uncommon But Just as Deadly
Sometimes, our bouquets of flowers can contain some less common varieties of cut flowers. While beautiful, they can be just as toxic as the more common flowers we discussed above.
If you think your cat might have nibbled on any of these toxic flowers, please seek veterinary care immediately.
The less common but just as toxic flowers include:
Safe to Sniff
Not all cut flowers are going to bring harm to your furry friend. Many beautiful flowers are completely safe for cats, according to the ASPCA. These flowers are all mentioned below, so you can choose the safest flowers to bring into your home.
Keep in mind that if ingesting any plant material occurs, there can be cause for concern, as vomiting or gastrointestinal upset may happen. Seek veterinary care if symptoms increase or are more than mild in nature.
The feathery-looking flowers grow on tall flower spikes and are usually seen in white and purple varieties.
the sky each day.
While many of these flowers are beautiful and can bring joy into one's home, it's important to know which of these flowers might end up hurting your cat.
Opting to keep known poisonous plants or flowers in your home can be a big risk. So while you may think placing the vase up high will keep your feline safe. Accidents can and do happen. Even if your furry friend doesn't jump onto unwelcome shelves and countertops, those toxic flowers may still end up knocked down to the floor by mistake, potentially leading to a big vet bill or worse.
To keep your furry friends safe, pick flowers that are safe so that if they get curious and take a bite, they might get scolded by you, but they won't need to be rushed to your local veterinarian.
Leave a Reply.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.